- 1 can of lentils
- 1 tbsp oil or a knob of butter
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander/cilantro powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- pinch of clove powder (or optionally replace all above spice powders with 1tsp garam masala powder)
- pinch of chili powder (or more if your mouth needs to hurt)
- 1/2 a small-medium tomato, diced
- some vegetables - precooked if hard veges like carrot etc (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- cream or yoghurt (optional)
Melt the butter or heat the oil in a pot on the stove and add the garlic and ginger paste, spice powders, the chopped tomato, and the optional vegetables. Cook until the tomato disintegrates and vegetables are tender.
Drain and rinse lentils and add to the pot with 1/2 cup of water. Cook until the lentils are tender and mushy. Salt to taste and stir in cream or yoghurt if wanted.
Serve topped with more raw tomato and on rice. Nom nom nom